Sunday, September 2, 2012

Archimedes the Owl

Last weekend when we were spending some time in Portland for the Tractor and Engine Show, we did some flea-marketing with my grandparents.  Scored some cool stuff, but the subject of this blog is a ceramic/plaster owl my grandma actually got for my sister's owl-themed classroom.  My sister couldn't have it in her room (since she's got elementary kids and the owl is breakable), so Grandma offered it to me.  He was kind of plain at first, but I saw some potential!  Here he is before his makeover:


And after:


His eyes actually follow you around the room, which creeps out my kids a little, but I like him!  He sits on the shelf behind my desk.



I wanted to give him a name and was trying to come up with something cute and original, but failed miserably.  I mentioned this to Kyle, and he said something along the lines of, "Since you like the book The Once and Future King so much, why don't you call him Archimedes after Merlin's talking owl?"  (For those of you who don't know, this book was one I read sophomore year of high school and absolutely LOVED...it's about King Arthur, his boyhood, the knights, Guinevere, etc. so obviously Archimedes is in it, too.)  

Brilliant!

I'd love to include some clips of Archimedes from the Disney movie The Sword in the Stone.  If you watch them, you might be able to possibly understand why I love Archimedes, the film, AND the book so much!

What?  Who?  What, what?











No comments:

Post a Comment