Monday, February 18, 2013

Back on Campus

As many of you know, we live very near campus and when we take walks when it's nice outside, we do like to walk down that way.  It makes total sense to us since there are sidewalks and the area is nicely lit (not like most streets near us).  The other day we were cold so we walked through some buildings and we happened through LaFollette, the largest dorm on campus that also has classrooms, 3 dining areas, and the Housing Offices on the lower level.  They have an all-you-can-eat buffet there, and man, did it smell wonderful!  We began talking about all the times we ate there, which was severely unbalanced!  Kyle lived near LaFollette and naturally ate there more often than I did since it was such a hike from both of the dorms I lived in during my two years on campus.  He reminisced about how his first year he would stop in at the buffet an average of three times a week to get an amazing breakfast all for a price lower than $4.

LaFollette Complex

Then we got this great idea:

Why don't WE do a breakfast date sometime soon and go to breakfast buffet in LaFollette?  The longer we talked about it, the more appealing it sounded!  And since we had President's Day off today (thank you Lord for built-in snow days!), we had the perfect opportunity to see our plan through!  We would sleep in really late (like we did in college), maybe shower (we didn't do that before going to breakfast in college), walk to the buffet (we walked everywhere in college), roll in to breakfast in our pajamas (we didn't get dressed often in college either), eat our way through AT LEAST four plates apiece (we could totally do that in college), and come home to crash in our food coma (happened more than I'd like to admit in college).  We might put on a couple pounds today (that happened all the time in college, too!), but it would be worth it!  Plus, we could sit at our table totally alone and make fun of the sad Ball State suckers who had to go to class today.

Well, the plan didn't exactly work out the way we wanted it to.  I mean, we made it to breakfast, but 7:00 is way oversleeping for me nowadays, so that's when I got up.  And we felt pretty disgusting, so we showered before we went.  Annnnndddd...apparently we're too adult now to go out in our pajamas, although I really would have liked to.  Plus when we were in college, we must have been pretty weathered, because as soon as I saw how cold it was this morning online, I begged to drive the car to breakfast.  We got there with more than an hour of breakfast left, which is NOT how it usually went when we lived on campus!  

And then the worst thing happened....

...I forgot how to eat at the buffet!  

Let  me explain:  when we lived there, I knew where the plates were.  Where they kept the ketchup, the syrup, the glasses, etc.  I forgot where the tray return was!  I realized when we walked in that I had forgotten all of these things!  Okay, it has been about four years since I've eaten there, but really?  I felt pretty dang stupid, but luckily Kyle had a lot more experience and could vaguely remember how the process worked.  Except for the part where he almost let me go through the line backwards.  What a meanie.

It was heavenly, though!  I still had my four plates, although the last two were only a quarter-filled, but I think it counted.  Between the two of us, we had doughnuts, homemade waffles, fruit, French toast, sausage, eggs, hash browns, biscuits, gravy, and about eighty glasses of orange juice.  And we DID make fun of the college kids who were doing homework at breakfast.  And we also got to listen to some interesting conversations from neighboring tables, one of which included a guy photoshopping a butthole over a friend's face and posting it to facebook somehow.  It was a very interesting trip.

And we ran like mad out of the buffet to make sure our meter didn't run out because we remember VERY well how quickly university police make rounds (2 minutes left...success!).  We came home and passed out to take a 3 hour nap.  My food baby is only just now settling down.  

We should do this over spring break, too....

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know such a thing existed. I might have to leave early for work every once in awhile so I have time to get a quick breakfast buffet in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $4.40 for students! Are you still technically a student? If not it's like $5.49 for guests (what we paid). But still worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck I don't know about you guys but my id and school account say student. But I also have an alumni card! I get the best of both worlds! Not that either of them do me much good up here.

    ReplyDelete