Thursday, November 18, 2010

I Made a Student Cry today...

I won't be overly-specific, but here's what happened:

Throughout the class period, one of my students volunteered a lot.  He's always so helpful and sweet and he's constantly thinking of others.  He always volunteers and even when he doesn't know the answer, he tries his best.  

Today after class, I stopped him and told him that I appreciated his comments in class and that I thought he was just a great student.  I told him that I think he's wonderful and just so, so awesome.  He thanked me shyly and I could see him starting to cry.  I didn't want to draw attention to his tears, so I let him go to his next class and told him to have a wonderful day.

I found out from my classroom teacher afterward that this boy has been bullied in other classes and the teachers haven't been too attentive and helpful in stopping it.  She was glad I said something.

Even though I had no idea, I'm glad I said something, too.

If you see someone doing something great or wonderful, tell them!  Even if your comment doesn't make too much of a difference, you never know.  It just might :)

1 comment:

  1. Aw I feel bad for the student... But I'm way proud of you! Isn't it surprising how a small act can have such a huge impact :D... you'll probably be one of his favorites forever!

    ReplyDelete