Saturday, November 13, 2010

New outlook (Phil's Plan)

So I've decided that I pretty much hate teaching the way I see it.  Our profs get us all excited about creating stimulating units and awesome lesson plans and when we try it on kids in our little controlled settings things turn out great.  

But then you go to practicum, and you see how real students interact with real teachers in real schools.  So the thing is, yeah, I understand kids are always gonna want to cut corners.  Yeah, high-schoolers will always have this attitude problem and think they know more than you do.  But I hated the other teachers' attitudes.  Like...they didn't care either.  If the students are sleeping, let them sleep.  If they don't want to do their work, it's not the teacher's problem because they have a boring lesson.  Just send the kid away to ISS where the student suddenly has a choice of what to do...sit quietly without causing problems, read a book, or do their work.  No wonder kids want to go to ISS--they have more freedom there than in the classroom!

So what with the other teachers who are as apathetic and lazy and rude as the students as well as schools who don't pay close enough attention to their charges or even follow the law (did you hear about that girl that got raped at Muncie Central during lunch?), I've had it up to here with teaching.  But what I mean is...I've had it up to here teaching it THEIR way.

So my friend Phil heard my woes (and read about them, too) and asked me if I'd like to participate in an experiment he and another colleague/peer/student teacher are working on...and I'm so excited about it!  I think this will help to make the change that classrooms need.  Check it out for yourself:  compromism.weebly.com.  I'm still formulating some thoughts about this, and I'm looking forward to getting together with Phil and/or Luke to discuss it.  I think that as either a parent (present or future), a student (past or present), or even as just a citizen, you SHOULD check this out, evaluate it, and give feedback to them concerning your thoughts on the matter.  

This is real life in real schools in YOUR country, folks.  Let's make it better!

No comments:

Post a Comment