Saturday, December 4, 2010

Birthday week.

So it was my birthday on Thursday, and I did a little celebrating gradually throughout the week because I knew that my actual birthday wasn't going to shape up to expectations.  How did I know this?  My syllabi informed my planner :(  I never really thought of it this way, but for the last three years it's really been a bummer to have a birthday so close to finals.  It's really a shame that I was born in the first week of December...why didn't my parents do some better planning around March of 1988, huh?!  Actually, next year it won't even matter so oh well.

But I knew I'd have this HUGE project due on the 3rd and I'd be up all night long on the 1st and 2nd working on it, meaning my birthday would be a day that I would hardly be able to stay awake.  I had to get up early to teach, and that didn't go too well, either, because I had some discipline issues that I had to work out with a student.  Then I had class (which I ended up skipping, thankfully) and work.  No, I couldn't even have the day off work.  I only get two days off work a month that I can choose and I decided to not be selfish and use one day to have Christmas with my side of the family and the other on my anniversary because my horrible husband blackmailed me by dangling an expensive dinner date in front of my face.  Jeez!

So I bought doughnuts for myself on Wednesday.  Lovely, lemon-filled doughnuts.  Six of them.  For $1.50.  And I had three and gave the others to Kyle, who complained the whole time he ate them, hahaha.  We're on this healthy diet, you see, and he was so dedicated to helping me stick to the diet that he offered to take three "fat bullets" for me.  Better for me in the long run, he says.  Yeah, I bet the doughnuts were pure torture.

On Thursday my sister did the dishes, though.  And Kyle made me two little mini-pizzas on flat pita bread for dinner after work.  And then on Friday, we went out to Texas Roadhouse and we got dinner AND a blooming onion (we don't usually indulge in appetizers)!  Then to see the Harry Potter movie, which was quite good, in case you were wondering.  

Then I came home and fell right to sleep.  And I continued to sleep like a rock until about 7 this morning, and my internal alarm clock prodded me awake and I thought I was late to teach.  But no such thing.  Saturdays are glorious!

I guess some people make A Huge Deal about their birthdays and think they're entitled to everything on that one specific day.  I prefer to compromise a little, be a bit more realistic, and have small splurges throughout the week to make up for it.  It's so much better that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment