Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Button, button, who's got the button?

I'll give you a million mad skills points if you can name the movie from which my post title originates!  Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Come on...you can do it!

Okay, well if you can't, stick around til the end of the post...

To begin my story, Kyle and I always accompany each other when shopping (especially for groceries).  We hate the way the other shops.  When he goes shopping alone, he doesn't get enough.  Food, supplies, anything.  If he's in a store and about to get in line to check-out and has realized he's forgotten something, he'd just as soon add the item to the next list and get it some other time.  Even if that means coming back the next morning because we're going to need the item very soon.  He refuses to try anything on and would rather make a separate trip to return things (maybe that's just a guy thing, though).  He doesn't care so much about making a list because we can just run down the street to pick something up any time.

When I go shopping alone, Kyle says I get too much.  I set out with a list for our dinner meals but end up buying one or two extra meals worth of food "just in case."  I HATE making extra trips back to the store and ALWAYS insist on making a list so I don't forget anything.  I like to start my lists a couple days ahead of the trip, too, so I know I'll have a couple of days to think about it.  I always try things on and maybe I take a little too long to deliberate on choices, but at least when I walk out of the store, 95% of the time I'm 100% certain that I've made a good purchase (does that make sense?).

Probably our differences aren't just gender but also our upbringing.  Kyle grew up in Indy where all kinds of stores are down the street so everything is completely convenient but I grew up 10-15 minutes away from the nearest Wal-Mart (and yes, Wal-Mart is all we had).  This being said, we shop together.  I make sure he gets enough, he makes sure I don't get too extreme and buy things we don't have a foreseeable need for.  

Well guess what?

Yesterday Kyle didn't feel up to getting groceries.  I also wanted to go shopping for fabric and scrapbooking items at Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's.  I could tell Kyle was thrilled when I told him he could stay home.  When I left, he made sure to tell me not to buy things we didn't need.  HA!  As if you could do that in either craft store, especially when you don't have your husband along for the ride!

I overbought, as usual, but I found something really cool at Meijer that was NOT on my list that I wanted to share with my 10 or so readers:



BUTTONS!!!

I love buttons.  I actually collect them.  Not like in a stamp/baseball card/memorabilia sort of way--I collect them in that if I find one somewhere and it doesn't belong on a shirt, I'll keep it in my stash for cute future crafts.  Which happen about twice a decade, so when I get around to using the buttons, I'll have plenty.

But I'm hoping for ideas....what do I use these buttons for?  I thought about hot gluing them to bobby pins, but the cutest buttons are too big for that.  I don't know that I have enough for bracelets.  Do I save them and make cute hairbows for the daughter that I KNOW we will have sometime in our lives?  Of course, if I choose this option, we will surely have all boys. 

I've been scouring Pinterest, but just have no idea yet...Maybe one will come soon and I can blog again boasting my craftiness.  But until then, I'm content to just look at them...







Wonderful, huh?!

Oh, and, by the way...the answer is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

1 comment:

  1. Meg-I love your buttons!! They're adorable. whenver i'm at joanns or hobby lobby i look at buttons...they're so cute! If you choose to hold on to them for future babies or for a project pinterest is bound to have someday...it definately worth it to have them waiting for you in a button jar ;)

    I did know where the movie was from :) Yay mee!

    ReplyDelete