Friday, March 20, 2009

Catching Up

So it's been about a week and a half since I've last written, and I've been getting made fun of for not being able to keep up with this (*cough, cough* Kyle).  It's not that I don't think about the blog...I've thought about it almost every day since I've begun it.  I even wanted to put up an entry, but I always had something that was just a little bit more important to do, so it always got pushed back.

One of the things that was so much more important was my family history project that I had to do.  It was really a rough project for me, even though I loved the process and am now addicted to genealogy:  I had to be able to trace my ancestry through to immigration to the United States on all sides of my family and construct a paper about our family history to include a paragraph (at least) on each direct ancestor/descendent.  After that, we had to complete a family pedigree.  Projects were also supposed to include pictures and copies of important documents if possible, but this was optional and would just ensure that we got a better grade.  This is something I definitely would have done--if I'd had more time.  

This project has pretty much been my whole existence for the past few weeks, and I've been working on the project all semester.  I turned it in today (all 62 pages of paper and 29 pages of pedigree), and I'm sooooo relieved that it's finished--definitely a weight off my shoulders.  In a way I'm sick of the project, but I don't hate the idea behind it.  I truly enjoyed researching my family history and I plan to continue to do so.  The LDS church really focuses on family history and I'm so excited to take my names to the temple to have ordinances completed for my deceased family members.  I'm really hoping to complete most of them myself, but some of them have already been finished by others in various parts of the country.  When I found my first relative on the new Family Search website and she'd already had all of her ordinances completed, I almost cried.  It's so great to know that part of my family has already been sealed in the temple, even if I haven't been sealed to anyone yet (anticipating, though!).

Anyway, I completed the pedigree and got the finished product into a binder just last night at around 1 AM, but you'd better believe I wasn't finished...I still had a paper to write for today.  It only turned out being about four pages, so it barely fit the requirements, but I stayed up until 4 AM to finish it and got up (late) at 8 AM to go to class, which seems to be the usual over the past few weeks here.  

I guess the point of this entire entry is that I'm so tired I could scream.  And I still have more to do this weekend...ugh.  *dreaming of summer vacation*  Other thoughts:  the new Family Search site is great (if you're a member).  Do your family history...it'll change your views on your family.  God is good and he gives us families for a reason, so love yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment