Saturday, October 27, 2012

Funeral in Michigan

On Monday of this week, Kyle's step-grandfather Wayne passed away from Wegner's disease.  His mom, Michele, called us on the way to school Monday morning to let us know the news.  We were so grateful that she told us right away so that we could begin making preparations to leave for the funeral as soon as possible (since I'm pretty anal about my classroom and plans it can take a couple of days for me to make subplans--what with all the nit-picky things that you know and remember from day to day but someone else would need explained to them).  The funeral arrangements were set for Wednesday and Thursday in Michigan, so we took off Wednesday and the following Monday from school.

All in all, we handled Wayne's passing fairly well here in our house.  Wayne had been sick for a little while, and I'm very glad that when we were in Michigan this past July that we got to see him.  Although Wayne is technically Kyle's step-grandfather, he is as grandfather as it gets to Kyle.  Wayne had been together with his grandma Brenda since 1967--waaaaay before Kyle was ever around!  He is the grandfather that Kyle knows from that side of the family, and he is as much a dad to Kyle's mom Michele as he was grandpa to Kyle.  

The funeral meant that we got to see Kyle's grandma Brenda, which happens on average once every other year if we're lucky.  We got to see his uncle Doug and aunt Annah, whom I met on our wedding day out in Nauvoo (Doug and Annah live in Iowa) and whom Kyle has met only a handful of times.  Last, but certainly not least, we met Kyle's cousins Justin and Matt.  Justin and Matt are a few years older than Kyle but were last in Michigan about sixteen years ago!  Holy smokes!  Kyle met them once before when he was about seven, but that was it!  Kyle's younger brother Jacob doesn't even remember meeting his cousins before.  

Needless to say, although we grieved for Wayne, Kyle and I were very grateful for the opportunity to spend time with his mom's family.  We all decided that it's really silly that we haven't really seen each other as often as we could.  Michigan and Iowa (and Missouri, where Justin lives) isn't really all THAT far away.  We discussed getting together maybe once a year or so, and I really, really hope that happens!  All of us together...it's such a riot :)  I think I heard from Justin and Matt that Michele might have slugged Doug a good one before we arrived?  I'm not sure if that's exaggerated or not!

The one thing I wish I could have changed (besides the circumstances, obviously)?  Kyle's sister Kelsey wasn't able to come to the funeral.  Driving for several hours with an arm in a sling from getting tossed around in college rugby wasn't a very good idea.  Add that with the midterms she's got going on right now, and she had a good pass.  WE MISSED YOU!


Doug and Michele.
Justin, Matt, Kyle, and Jacob
Add Gary!  Cute.
I jumped in for one.  Thanks for taking the picture, Annah!
I meant to get one with Grandma Brenda, but by the time it was all over, I realized I'd forgotten.  Eeeks!  We'll just have to go back really soon :)

It was a beautiful service, and everyone who meant anything to Grandpa Wayne was there.  R.I.P. Wayne!

No comments:

Post a Comment