Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Kyle's Latest Obsessions

Kyle always goes through periods of extreme obsession.  For example, he will (like clockwork) become obsessed with Lord of the Rings at the beginning of every year.  This is due to our New Year's Eve tradition of watching The Fellowship of the Ring with soft pretzels.  Then, once you start apparently you can't finish!  So he has to watch the other two.  And then watch the extended versions (about four hours long apiece).  Then read all the books.  He doesn't stop his "phase" until he's completely exhausted it.  

He's had Batman phases, Superman phases, Raising Hope phases, The Office phases, Lord of the Ring phases, My Name is Earl phases, Star Wars phases, Indiana Jones phases, Ender's Game phases, James Bond phases...

His latest phase is buying Golden/Silver age comics.  Expensive phase.  But he does like to steal them for a deal, so at least there's that.  I cannot disclose the location in which we are keeping these comic books (he's very protective), but we did have to buy a new fireproof safe for them.  Here's one of his new favorites:



He really likes this one because it features the Man of Bats, which is a Native American Batman.  We studied Native American literature in college, so Kyle and I know quite a few things about past and present Native Americans and how they're portrayed in texts and film.  I think that's why he likes it so much.

Another phase (and I saw this one coming a mile away...it all started with the drawing):

My whiteboard at school upon which Kyle leaves me "presents" like this one
I think he's determined to watch all twenty-three seasons.  

I guess when I married the man, I married the obsessions, right?  Good thing The Simpsons are really starting to grow on me...!

No comments:

Post a Comment