Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Summer school...bleh.

So, so, so many things going on here! I can't wait for summer school to be finished so we can get work done on the house and maybe be able to HANG OUT with my husband (jeez is that so wrong?).

Summer school is swell. I actually hate it with a passion because...it's summer! I'm of the opinion that students shouldn't be in school during the summertime, and, being my first summer that I've ever had to be in school (unless you count driver's ed classes that lasted about a week and isn't really a class at all), I've really found pity for those students who go to summer school all the time. Like my brother. Poor Nick goes to summer school each year because he keeps missing points on the ISTEP. Huh.

It's not that the material is particularly hard. I'm taking my PE requirement for the university, so half the curriculum is basically just health that I learned in my sophomore year of high school. The other half of the curriculum is fitness...so I get a grade for working out! The nice thing is that it doesn't matter how good you are...so long as you try and you have a good attitude about it. I actually quite like aerobics (the fitness part anyway)!

I also have an American Literature class with a professor who has a reputation for being a tough grader. Kyle has had this same class with this exact professor in the past, and by listening to him discuss what he had to do for his grade, I've decided that our curriculum is completely watered down due to time. My paper requirement is shortened, our discussions aren't in depth. Plus, I don't even have to attend class for one of the five weeks because my prof has summer plans as well (don't worry, I'm still doing major homework over that week). So I feel like I've gotten off easy in my summer school choice.

But still. The awful (and actually, the worst) part of it is just the fact that I have to GO to school during summer. It's not a normal thing for me, and I always say to myself, Gee, I could be working full time and making lots more money for our family instead of spending money to go to school for the summer. Or, hey, this isn't normal for me. Don't I deserve a break like everyone else?

But I'm about two classes behind from graduating on time. I suppose I have absolutely no right to complain, because these two classes are very common and are definitely offered during the academic year. I could have bumped one semester to 18 hours and another to 17 instead of taking 15 every semester since my freshman year. The reason I didn't, though, is because I took 18 credits once and it nearly killed me. I had no friends or any social life to speak of and had to go to counseling for depression. This was also the semester that I developed my bad sleeping habits, which is something I'm STILL trying to come back from. No 18 hours ever again!

The past two semesters I've had plenty of time to take my fitness class, but I didn't because it would have messed up my class schedules in which I had complete days off during the week (the first semester I had Tuesdays and Thursdays off, and the second I had Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays). This wouldn't have been important but it opened up more hours for me to work during that entire semester. In the end, we figured up that it would be more cost efficient for me to take the class for five weeks, pay a little money for it, and help me to work more during the two semesters that I could (plus I'm still working, so it's not like I'm losing hours).

*Sigh. I just wish I didn't have summer school. Everyone else is going to the pool and having picnics or doing landscaping and so many other things I want to do, and I can't because I have homework and class every day. I feel like it's not fair to Kyle either because all he seems to do is go to work and come home to pick up the slack at home for stuff I don't have time to do because I have both work and school (pick up groceries, doing the dishes, making dinner everyday, etc.). He's been awfully cheerful about it, though, which is helpful.

Although that's probably because he knows he doesn't have to go to school and is secretly laughing at me. Ha!

Oh well. Only two and a half more weeks....!


No comments:

Post a Comment